[LAD] Source code for Open Sound System now available under GPLv2 and CDDL 1.0

Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas pedro.lopez.cabanillas at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 17:23:22 UTC 2007

On Thursday, 14 June 2007 00:41, pete shorthose wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-06-14 at 00:42 +0300, Hannu Savolainen wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > Now it has happened. Open Sound System is finally open sourced.
>
> http://4front-tech.com/hannublog/?p=5

Quote1:
	"However the ALSA API is still almost completely undocumented
	(after three years of it’s release) so how can anybody expect
	that programmers could develop good applications based on it."

Quote2:
	"For the above reasons the benefits of OSS are widely ignored:
	[...]
	* It’s fully documented (OTOH some parts of the documentation
	are still under construction)."

Yeah. The ALSA API is also fully documented, but some parts are still in a
work in progress state...

What happened to MIDI/sequencer?
http://4front-tech.com/hannublog/?p=6

Quote3:
	"The real problems started few months after that when I tried to
	document the sequencer/music interface.  [...] Due to lack of
	time I gave up but promised to write the documentation later."

Quote4:
	"The bad news is that there is no MIDI support in OSS 4.0. There
	are few bugs in the MIDI code and we decided to ship OSS 4.0
	without it [...] MIDI support will be included in OSS 4.1
	(hopefully within this year)."

OK, lets talk about MIDI after some months.

Regards,
Pedro