[LAD] simulating analog audio devices part II

Giuseppe Zompatori siliconjoe at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 19:48:19 UTC 2007

2007/6/18, Robin Gareus <robin at gareus.org>:

> Giuseppe Zompatori wrote:
>
> Wow, your ltSpice simulation sounds really real! I hoped to get ngSpice
> to do the same.

That would be nice but unpractical? I heard ngspice is severely
afflicted by memory leaks when doing large/long simulations, I might
be wrong though. I try to avoid depending on it since I heard it's
been discontinued, and that of course makes my life much harder since
most (all?) of the  ECADS device models on the net are available only
in some pseudo-spice format.

> > Now days I am messing around with GNUCap and QUCS (http://qucs.sf.net)
> > to which I just ported my first tube model whose plate voltage/grid
> > current curves look like that:
>
> great! looking forward to listening to those ;)

I'll try and let this list know ;)

> the sndfile&resample wrappers that I patched into ngSpice just work with
> GNUCap and QUCS too. GNUCap is still quite unusable (segfaults on large
> data sets) but I've elaborated on the QUCS hack - It's much slower
> than ngSpice, but indeed more accurate (at least the timing); I'm still
> to run some tests..  http://mir.dnsalias.com/oss/spicesound/qucs -
> (highly experimental) - I did not get to clean it up last week as I
> intended to and can't spare any time this week either.. - but I plan to
>  revisit the issue properly over the summer.

That's very cool Robin!
I'll give it a try later.

> keep in touch,

Sure.