[linux-audio-dev] List migration to linuxaudio.org : remaining issues.

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Thu Mar 1 16:41:49 UTC 2007

Marc-Olivier Barre wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> As I said yesterday when I said the migration to linuxaudio.org was
> postponed till 1st April, there are still a few issues asking for
> comments.
>
> It has been suggested by a few people(Ivica Ico Bukvic, Jan Weil) that
> the email addresses linux-audio-xxxxx at linuxaudio.org was kind of
> redundant. The following suggestions were made :
>
> � just switch the names to announce at linuxaudio.org,
> dev at linuxaudio.org, and user at linuxaudio.org.
>
> � Make aliases : linux-audio-dev at linuxaudio.org -> dev at linuxaudio.org
>
> To this Leonard Ritter replied that this could lead to more spam.

he might be right. a random bot is more likely to spam
user at linuxaudio.org than linux-audio-user at ...

a compromise woud be la-user, la-dev , la-ann  -
or user-ml at .. (mailing-list), etc. (but that's not catchy enough)

I'd suggest to alias the other way round:
if dev at linuxaudio.org is Spammed, you can announce and drop this feature
again while everyone  with "linux-audio-dev at linuxaudio.org" in their
address book won't ever notice.

in short term dev at .. will have less SPAM than linux-audio-dev, and in
the long-run SpamAssassin will mark dup.-postings in blacklists..

OTOH; with dev at lao - we'd benefit from a shorter subject! [la-dev]
compared to [linux-audio-dev] - there are usually < 50 chars for subject
in a 80x24 terminal :) - for email shortcuts there is an addressbook and
personally I use "LAD" as nick for it.

robin