[linux-audio-dev] List migration to linuxaudio.org : remaining issues.

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Thu Mar 1 19:08:04 UTC 2007

Marc-Olivier Barre wrote:
> On 3/1/07, Robin Gareus <robin at gareus.org> wrote:
>> he might be right. a random bot is more likely to spam
>> user at linuxaudio.org than linux-audio-user at ...
> Ok, right...
>
>> a compromise woud be la-user, la-dev , la-ann  -
>> or user-ml at .. (mailing-list), etc. (but that's not catchy enough)
> Agreed
>
>> I'd suggest to alias the other way round:
>> if dev at linuxaudio.org is Spammed, you can announce and drop this feature
>> again while everyone  with "linux-audio-dev at linuxaudio.org" in their
>> address book won't ever notice.
>
> If I understand you well, it means making dev at linuxaudio.org an alias
> (that can be dropped if causing too much issues) right ?

yes. -lad , lau & laa are even better aliases!

retaining the orginal mailbox names, should also make it easier for
(external-)email-archives to migrate to the new archive...

>> in short term dev at .. will have less SPAM than linux-audio-dev, and in
>> the long-run SpamAssassin will mark dup.-postings in blacklists..
> Well, to be honest ATM there seems to be no spam on linux-audio-dev to
> be moderated and none received in my mailbox (from lad). It has always
> surprised me.

lucky you :) - maybe those spammers are friendly when they sense a lost
case or is linux-audio scaring them off? .grin.

in this case you can even provide more aliases, not that it would make
much sense...

>> OTOH; with dev at lao - we'd benefit from a shorter subject! [la-dev]
>> compared to [linux-audio-dev] - there are usually < 50 chars for subject
>> in a 80x24 terminal :) - for email shortcuts there is an addressbook and
>> personally I use "LAD" as nick for it.
>
> Prefix for the subject line can be changed. It's the subject_prefix
> parameter. we could make it [LAD], [LAU] and [LAA] (that's the
> shortest I can think of and it would make terminal users happy).

it might cause loads of readers to change their mail-filter(s). but
moving to linuxaudio.org will alter the  X-Been-There header anyway.
just do it in one step. april fools day!
gonna be fun,
robin