[linux-audio-dev] promoting LAC 2007

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Tue Mar 27 22:55:11 UTC 2007

On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 10:27:11PM +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Linux didn't stay an "amateuer" platform in other areas, why should
> free software not be professionally used in the audio world as well?

There is no good reason why free software shouldn't be used, but not
everything required in the pro world is available as free software.

That in itself is not the problem, pro users will be prepared to pay
for what they need. The real problem is that some things are not
available for Linux _at all_.

Try to find an MLP encoder that runs on Linux. Required for DVD-A,
HD-DVD and Blu-Ray production. It won't be open source any time
soon.

If there is no market for closed source software on Linux, it will
simply never exist on that platform. If Linux users refuse to use
non-free software, there is no market.

Much as I would prefer to see FLAC used on these media, the simple
fact is that it isn't.

--
FA

Follie! Follie! Delirio vano è questo !