[linux-audio-dev] promoting LAC 2007

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Mar 27 20:27:11 UTC 2007

Hallo,
Fons Adriaensen hat gesagt: // Fons Adriaensen wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 04:17:16PM +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
> > Maybe one day there will be a Linux version of Live, but it's
> > not something I particularily look forward to, as I wouldn't
> > use it anyways unless it gets opensource'd.
>
> There are probably many of us thinking the same way.
>
> But the sad fact is that if all Linux users do this, then
> Linux will forever be an 'amateur' platform.

Linux didn't stay an "amateuer" platform in other areas, why should
free software not be professionally used in the audio world as well?
An interesting example would be Pd, which is attracting quite a number
of former Max users. Pd may not look professional, but it *is* used by
professionals. Ardour is another example, though it targets an
audience that may be less willing to try something new and thus has a
harder time.

I have nothing against people using proprietary software, especially
in areas where there are no alternatives - although the hundreds of
"soundsalike" (sorry, Michael) Live users can get on my nerves a bit.

But it will be hard to convince *me* of why I should pay more for a
software when I get less in return, that is: no source code and no
copies allowed.

Ciao