[linux-audio-dev] promoting LAC 2007

Carlo Florendo subscribermail at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 03:48:16 UTC 2007

Thorsten Wilms wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 05:20:01PM +0100, Dave Griffiths wrote:
>> I know it's not really what you mean, but it seems to me that duplicating
>> the current methodologies and replacing every "professional" costly
>> application with an exact free software counterpart that happens to run
>> under linux is a bit pointless? What is the the motivation? Just to force
>> businesses out of business?
>
> Yeah, well I would prefer the approach of making software that fulfils
> specific needs or wants as good as possible. That can often mean going
> in similar directions as propietary apps, but never just blind cloning :)

Exactly.  Programmer-musicians must focus on very particular niches,
writing software that would not be a one-stop-do-all kind of thing, but to
address a particular need of a particular audience.

One example is to come up with a software that is tailored  for
professional keyboardists who could throw in a live concert using keyboards
and computers, and not just for the general type of musical arranger that
just "uses" the keyboard to compose songs.

Best Regards,

Carlo

--
Carlo Florendo
Softare Engineer/Network Co-Administrator

--
The Astra Group of Companies
5-3-11 Sekido, Tama City