[LAD] Libraries for simple audio programming, libao, other options?

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Thu May 3 14:20:34 UTC 2007

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 11:31:41AM -0700, Stephen Cameron wrote:
> Well, it's turning out surprisingly well (not great, but
> better than I was expecting.)  So now I'm thinking to add
> sound, but apart from some MIDI programming, I really haven't
> done any audio programming before (unless you count some
> Extended BASIC code on a ti99/4a back in the '80s -- and
> nobody would count that.)

Another pretty easy way to do retro-style music and sound effects
would be to embed a mod player library, eg mikmod:
http://mikmod.raphnet.net/doc/libmikmod-3.1.10/docs/mikmod.html

You could then use a mod tracker for composing the game music.

Back in the early 90s there were some pretty cool games that used this
approach (StarCon2 anyone? ... holy crap, it's been open-sourced!
http://sc2.sourceforge.net/info.php )

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com