[LAD] Libraries for simple audio programming, libao, other options?

Stephen Cameron smcameron at yahoo.com
Tue May 8 03:17:12 UTC 2007

--- nick thomas <jesuswaffle at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/2/07, Stephen Cameron <smcameron at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > Oh yeah I do see it now, so, nevermind.
> >
> > Looking at pa_multi_sine.c, I can see that
> > each stream can have multiple channels, and an example
> > of doing it interleaved and not interleaved.
> >
> > So, portaudio looks like it's just what I needed.
> >
> Hmm, not quite on the mark. Multiple channels give you more speakers;
> for one channel, you have mono, for two channels, you have stereo, for
> 7 channels, you have surround sound, etc. However, you were right on
> the mark with your code sample in the previous email. Just integrate
> that into your program, and you should have a working audio engine.

Yes this seems to be the case, I did it (much like) what I wrote
in the previous email, and it works.

In case anyone is curious how it turned out, I put my silly
game on sourceforge.

http://wordwarvi.sourceforge.net

Still a bit of a work in progress, but the sound's working,
and it seems to be working pretty dang well indeed, so
thanks for all the help.

Not sure how long it takes the tar.gz to propagate out
to all the mirrors, but cvs should work, if the mirrors
aren't yet.  It's a bit of a big download, 22Mb.

-- steve