[LAD] [ANN] LV2 beta3

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Thu May 10 09:47:10 UTC 2007

On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 11:03:56AM +0200, Arnold Krille wrote:

> And I don't think fons talks about extras like radio but things like smoother
> automation (controlling velocity in a smoother way)...
> He didn't even mention guis (which I concur is a bonus and a host not
> implementing graphics should still give access to the parameters via text).

Nothing of what I said has anything to do with user level features.

I imagine a plugin as a component in a general audio DSP network (provided
by the host), and think about what would be required to support all the
types of processing (multi-channel, multi-rate, block-oriented, ...) that
are common in general audio DSP work. These algorithms are used in musical
plugins as well. But the user couldn't care less - he/she just wants the
result.

You can probably explain to a non-technical user that some hosts do support
e.g. MIDI or OSC and others don't - these are things he knows. You can not
IMHO explain to the average user that his favourite host does not accept
his favourite reverb plugin because it does not support a particular type
of algorithm - it's a different world that he doesn't care about. The basic
infrastructure to support all types of processing should be present in all
hosts, and it doesn't take much. You just have to know they exist and think
a bit.

--
FA

Follie! Follie! Delirio vano è questo !