[LAD] PCM player as kernel module

Forest Bond forest at alittletooquiet.net
Thu Nov 1 17:12:45 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 06:48:39PM +0530, Avadhoot Punde wrote:
> As part of a bigger project, I need to develop a module which reads PCM data
> from a file and feeds it to sound driver. Is it possible to develop such a
> module without actually writing device driver, I mean just by using existing
> functions such as snd_pcm_open and all that ? Can someone throw more light on
> this ?

Why not just use aplay?

$ cat myfile | aplay -

... or so.  For raw PCM data, you should use the correct aplay options to
specify the format.  See the manpage.

You used to be able to do this with OSS:

$ cat myfile > /dev/dsp

I don't know if this is still possible with ALSA.

-Forest
--
Forest Bond
http://www.alittletooquiet.net