[LAD] Detecting one sample within another

Patrick Marchwiak pmarchwiak at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 20:03:21 UTC 2007

Given a sample clip, I would like to be able to find in another audio file a
part that sounds similar to the clip. So for example, given a cymbal sample,
I would like to be able to find a part of an audio file that sounds similar
to a cymbal. I am not interested in beat detection, but rather just getting
a single slice.

Having only a basic grasp of digital audio theory I am wondering what
algorithms would be applicable for this situation. I am also new to Linux
audio, so I would appreciate any pointers to libraries that provide this
functionality or means to implement it myself.