[LAD] [OT] questions re: cross-compiling

Kjetil S. Matheussen k.s.matheussen at notam02.no
Thu Nov 15 17:51:30 UTC 2007

David Olofson:
>> And last:
>>
>>   If I can only do it native Windows, what do I need in the way of
>> compiler etc. ?
>
> Cygwin is probably the easiest way to get started with that, whether
> you're using Wine or Windows:
> 	http://www.cygwin.com/

I depends. For hardcore unix programs, cygwin can in some situations
be the only alternative. But msys/mingw has its advantages as well:

*The msys terminal is a lot nicer than xterm
*msys/mingw uses fewer resources than cygwin
*mingw executables requires fewer dlls and are easier to
  distribute
*mingw executables can be linked with non-cygwin dll's.

disadvantages:
*msys/mingw is messy to set up. Check out the FAQ first.
*msys/mingw is very messy to upgrade.
  (manually unpacking .tar files into the file tree)
*msys doesn't provide the same amount of unix tools.
*mingw executables can not be linked with cygwin dll's.

http://www.mingw.org/msys.shtml