[LAD] [OT] questions re: cross-compiling

Christian Schoenebeck cuse at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Nov 15 20:18:29 UTC 2007

Am Donnerstag, 15. November 2007 18:51:30 schrieb Kjetil S. Matheussen:
> *The msys terminal is a lot nicer than xterm
> *msys/mingw uses fewer resources than cygwin
> *mingw executables requires fewer dlls and are easier to
>   distribute
> *mingw executables can be linked with non-cygwin dll's.
>
> disadvantages:
> *msys/mingw is messy to set up. Check out the FAQ first.
> *msys/mingw is very messy to upgrade.
>   (manually unpacking .tar files into the file tree)
> *msys doesn't provide the same amount of unix tools.
> *mingw executables can not be linked with cygwin dll's.

That's not a real either/or question. Mingw is part of Cygwin as well:

	http://cygwin.com/packages/

So you can easily setup and update both with just a few clicks in the cygwin
install utility.

One thing I wonder is whether mingw has any disadvantages regarding compiler
optimizations? You know the term "minimalistic" in its name raises such
doubts.

CU
Christian