[LAD] Re: Audio over Cat5

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Oct 2 20:10:22 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-03 at 01:02 +0530, Tosif Ahmed wrote:
> > As far as I got it the task/question was to use the Cat5-cables for
> analog
> > music-signals (which is not a problem) and have a digital (modified
> or
> > unmodified) WRT-router route the music to different ports or to
> produce the
> > audio-signals on its ethernet-ports (which is a problem, i.e. not
> possible).
>
> Yes...thts exactly wat my question is, a wrt box which can play songs
> but since it doesn't have speakers i want to use cat5 as the transport
> media.
>
> Now my idea is to use the wrt as a decoder, an external DAC and the
> output of the DAC to the  speakers, and the question here is about the
> feasibility of such an arrangement, will it work?
>
> PS: have a look at this http://www.duff.dk/wrt54gs/ the author hasnt
> quite explained how he did the hardware part and thats wat i am
> interested in, albeit doing it a bit differently.

he is using the fact that the WRT has a serial port. he writes the
sample data to the serial port, which is connected to a PIC that in turn
has a speaker wired up to it.

he is not doing real D/A conversion in the traditional sense.

i do not believe that you will not be able to find a D/A converter that
speaks a protocol that you can implement in software.

--p