[LAD] Re: Direct Stream Digital / Pulse Density Modulation musing/questions

Gordon JC Pearce gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Tue Sep 25 22:20:34 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 19:31 +0200, Fons Adriaensen wrote:

> A nice variation on this theme occured years ago at an AES conference.
> The speaker wanted to demonstrate that 'digital' sound was crap, by
> using the familiar 'push down the extended arm' test. Test persons
> listening to analog sound could easily resist, while they lost all
> force when listening to a digital recording.
>
> What the speaker didn't know was that the PA system used to play the
> tracks was fully digital...

I once helped prepare the equipment for a double-blind test of speaker
cables.  All the golden-eared audophiles picked out one cable as being
far superior to the others, with better clarity and definition in the
upper harmonics and tighter more defined bass or some such bollocks.

I did have to buy my Mum a new extension lead for her lawnmower, though.
Sixty feet of Black and Decker's finest, with Speakon plugs soldered to
it.

Gordon