[LAD] Re: Direct Stream Digital / Pulse Density Modulation musing/questions

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Tue Sep 25 22:30:14 UTC 2007

On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 11:20:34PM +0100, Gordon JC Pearce wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 19:31 +0200, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>
> > A nice variation on this theme occured years ago at an AES conference.
> > The speaker wanted to demonstrate that 'digital' sound was crap, by
> > using the familiar 'push down the extended arm' test. Test persons
> > listening to analog sound could easily resist, while they lost all
> > force when listening to a digital recording.
> >
> > What the speaker didn't know was that the PA system used to play the
> > tracks was fully digital...
>
> I once helped prepare the equipment for a double-blind test of speaker
> cables.  All the golden-eared audophiles picked out one cable as being
> far superior to the others, with better clarity and definition in the
> upper harmonics and tighter more defined bass or some such bollocks.

Interesting. Were they tested individually or as a group?

If individually, that would seem to suggest that they actually could
hear a difference between cables, and that your lawnmower cable really
did sound better to them.

What gauge cord was it? :-)

If tested as a group, I wouldn't trust the results at all... group
psychology could account for a lot ("I hear it too!" "Me too!")

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com