[LAD] IM like GUI for netjack

Joern Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Mon Dec 1 13:06:30 UTC 2008

nescivi wrote:
> Hiho,
>
> On Sunday 30 November 2008 22:32:10 torbenh at gmx.de wrote:

>>> Does irclib for python help?
>>> Creates a python irc client, which you can then have only the options you
>>> propose.
>>> Not jabber based though.
>> this might be a very good alternative.
>> one would need to register a second nick on freenode for this i guess.
>>
>> it would still not be easy to detect the IP of a peer, if he was using a
>> cloak. i basically want to expose IP only if user agrees.
>> and detecting IP from inside NAT is not trivial.
>> not sure how i should tacke this. i there some service out there,
>> which can tell me my IP if i open a TCP connection to it ?
>>
>> if you have a solution for this, irc would become my choice i guess ;D
>
> Hmm... not really.
> Although.. sk wrote a http-tunnel for a project of ours once in ruby, to
> tunnel osc messages to the outside world, so I could control a remote
> scsynth, regardless of firewalls, that may be in between.
> But it required a server running a host script, which connected the tunnels.
>
> It's a bit convoluted, and may send audio streams around with some detour,
> depending where the server is, and where the participants are.
> But I'm sure linuxaudio.org would be eager to give some bandwidth ;)
>
> Maybe our LAC streamteam has some brilliant idea how to do this...

this part of the lac streamteam must confess it doesn't have the
faintest... which may partly be attributed to sushi deprival syndrome.

even though i hosted stefan's nat-piercing script for one of marije's
projects, i never bothered to find out how it works... i guess it's a
reflector that actually bounces the data back and forth.

i'm very sure that's not what you want for a netjack connection if you
care for latency. plus you would burn huge amounts of bandwidth for
basically nothing.

the way i see it, if you want to netjack between two natted hosts,
there's no easy way around port forwardings on both ends. which is fine
imho, since we are not competing with skype here, are we?

for the simple case (both end points have real ip addresses), some
simple directory script (such as the icecast streamer list) might
suffice, but the cool thing about the jabber idea is you can ssl it and
maybe also use it to agree on a login procedure without having to post
your ip (and hence, your open netjack port) for all the world to see.

(btw, torben, great to hear from you again! do get in touch if you ever
need a crashpad in essen.)

best,

jörn

--
jörn nettingsmeier

home://germany/45128 essen/lortzingstr. 11/
http://spunk.dnsalias.org
phone://+49/201/491621