[LAD] IM like GUI for netjack

torbenh at gmx.de torbenh at gmx.de
Mon Dec 1 14:17:32 UTC 2008

hmmm... i have a solution now: http://checkip.dyndns.org/

> > Hmm... not really.
> > Although.. sk wrote a http-tunnel for a project of ours once in ruby, to
> > tunnel osc messages to the outside world, so I could control a remote
> > scsynth, regardless of firewalls, that may be in between.
> > But it required a server running a host script, which connected the tunnels.
> >
> > It's a bit convoluted, and may send audio streams around with some detour,
> > depending where the server is, and where the participants are.
> > But I'm sure linuxaudio.org would be eager to give some bandwidth ;)
> >
> > Maybe our LAC streamteam has some brilliant idea how to do this...
>
> this part of the lac streamteam must confess it doesn't have the
> faintest... which may partly be attributed to sushi deprival syndrome.
>
> even though i hosted stefan's nat-piercing script for one of marije's
> projects, i never bothered to find out how it works... i guess it's a
> reflector that actually bounces the data back and forth.
>
> i'm very sure that's not what you want for a netjack connection if you
> care for latency. plus you would burn huge amounts of bandwidth for
> basically nothing.

yep.... i dont want a reflector at all.

> the way i see it, if you want to netjack between two natted hosts,
> there's no easy way around port forwardings on both ends. which is fine

i dont want to get around port forwarding.
there is still the possibility to use UPNP to open the
port. anybody knows a library or code fragment for this ?
it would at least provide for randomized port numbers.
(If your router supports it... mine does, but i deactivated it ;S

> imho, since we are not competing with skype here, are we?

hmmm... i guess skype is not competing with us ;)
we are providing N channel support, midi transport,
low-latency lan operation. A musical codec...
transport synchronisation.

hehe :)
i need to research the possibility for cloud DSPing :D
ie rent your lexicon to other studios... lol.

> for the simple case (both end points have real ip addresses), some
> simple directory script (such as the icecast streamer list) might
> suffice, but the cool thing about the jabber idea is you can ssl it and
> maybe also use it to agree on a login procedure without having to post
> your ip (and hence, your open netjack port) for all the world to see.

yes. this is my intent.
now with the possibility to detect own IP i can decide between irc or
jabber. i dont even need to modify jabberd.
And irc would still require cloaks to hide ips. so i guess i will go
with jabber.

jabber already has buddy list etc implemented, and i dont need to think
about this.

Paul seems to also like the idea. the problem might only be, that
dreamhost prohibits irc like services. But this is just a presence
service.

> (btw, torben, great to hear from you again! do get in touch if you ever
> need a crashpad in essen.)

sure. but no trips planned.

--
torben Hohn