[LAD] IM like GUI for netjack

Joern Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Mon Dec 1 15:14:58 UTC 2008

torbenh at gmx.de wrote:

> hmmm... i have a solution now: http://checkip.dyndns.org/

wow. now that is totally amazing technology. i wonder who rewrites the
html each time a new user connects? probably outsourced to india...

>> the way i see it, if you want to netjack between two natted hosts,
>> there's no easy way around port forwardings on both ends. which is fine
>
> i dont want to get around port forwarding.
> there is still the possibility to use UPNP to open the
> port. anybody knows a library or code fragment for this ?
> it would at least provide for randomized port numbers.
> (If your router supports it... mine does, but i deactivated it ;S

hmm. i haven't looked into it, but my gut feeling is that upnp merely
adds a network transparency layer to each known exploit in the world...
but i may have grown old and grumpy, so ignore me.

>> imho, since we are not competing with skype here, are we?
>
> hmmm... i guess skype is not competing with us ;)
> we are providing N channel support, midi transport,
> low-latency lan operation. A musical codec...
> transport synchronisation.

i know :) what i meant is: people who want to use netjack are advanced
users who run their own linux studio. for them, setting up a port
forward is no dark magic. so we don't have to compete with skype in
terms of one-click-installability. in all other aspects, we are of
course going to have them for breakfast :)

i'd rather have this additional barrier of manual setup than to have to
activate upnp in my studio network. additionally, i might also want to
get additional firewall rules in place to permit only specific source
ips (which should be trivial to automate if the connection information
is available via jabber).

> hehe :)
> i need to research the possibility for cloud DSPing :D
> ie rent your lexicon to other studios... lol.

or record to 16 track 2 inch at some remote location that still has the
tape wizards to maintain one :-D
(and yes, the telcoms could be at yet another facility - but i'm getting
carried away...)

>> for the simple case (both end points have real ip addresses), some
>> simple directory script (such as the icecast streamer list) might
>> suffice, but the cool thing about the jabber idea is you can ssl it and
>> maybe also use it to agree on a login procedure without having to post
>> your ip (and hence, your open netjack port) for all the world to see.
>
> yes. this is my intent.
> now with the possibility to detect own IP i can decide between irc or
> jabber. i dont even need to modify jabberd.
> And irc would still require cloaks to hide ips. so i guess i will go
> with jabber.
>
> jabber already has buddy list etc implemented, and i dont need to think
> about this.
>
> Paul seems to also like the idea. the problem might only be, that
> dreamhost prohibits irc like services. But this is just a presence
> service.

do you think that a properly setup jabberd that requires registration
would fall under this exclusion rule?
i'm running a torrent mirror at a hoster that explicitly forbids file
sharing, but when i explained to them the nature and licensing of the
material provided (it's not warez or moviez) and gave them figures of
bandwidth usage, they gave me the thumbs up.

--
jörn nettingsmeier

home://germany/45128 essen/lortzingstr. 11/
http://spunk.dnsalias.org
phone://+49/201/491621