[LAD] Prototyping algorithms and ideas

Albert Graef Dr.Graef at t-online.de
Fri Feb 1 19:40:40 UTC 2008

Stéphane Letz wrote:
> The LLVM backend based approach may improve the situation : http://
> www.grame.fr/~letz/faust_llvm.html, the day it will work ((-:

That will enable you to skip the C++ compilation, but Faust still does a
lot of stuff behind the scenes, rewriting expressions to normal form,
optimizing code, etc. I found that Faust itself can take seconds to
compile a source with no more than a few dozen lines. That has improved
a lot during the 0.9.9.x series, but still...

But I agree with Kjetil that having an interactive interface via snd
would still be useful. Who cares if it takes a few seconds after editing
the source until you can actually use the component? It's not as if we
want to use Faust for live coding on the stage, do we? ;-)

Albert

--
Dr. Albert Gr"af
Dept. of Music-Informatics, University of Mainz, Germany
Email:  Dr.Graef at t-online.de, ag at muwiinfa.geschichte.uni-mainz.de
WWW:    http://www.musikinformatik.uni-mainz.de/ag