[LAD] JACK & MIDI

Dave Robillard dave at drobilla.net
Thu Jan 17 20:36:17 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 14:43 +0100, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> With the release of Jack 0.109 we now have a (hopefully)
> stable API for midi-over-jack. This set me to consider what
> would be required to modify Aeolus to use this system.
> And I did not like the conclusions.
>
> Is it a good idea to insert a 30-year old data format
> that mixes real-time and general data on a single stream
> into a real-time audio processing API ? I don't think so.
>
> 1. Note on/off and controller events now can be 'sample
> accurate'. That's nice to have. But
[...]

> 2. *All* MIDI data now has to pass through the RT-audio
> audio thread, even if it's not related to any RT operations
> at all
[...]

So, after this long wait of things being different and incompatible in
SVN and a release /finally/ coming out, you NOW decide to bring all this
up?

Large SYSEX is a difficult problem that was deliberately not considered.
Sub-sample accurate stamps would be great though, and I bet they would
have gotten in too - but it's a little late for that now, isn't it?

-DR-