[LAD] JACK & MIDI

t_w_ at freenet.de t_w_ at freenet.de
Fri Jan 18 13:25:07 UTC 2008

Fons Adriaensen wrote:

> Seriously, there are three things that I profoundly dislike in MIDI.
>
> 1. The limited precision of almost all values, 7 bits or 14 with a
>    kludge (but even this kludge is not available in any standard
>    way for e.g. individual note frequencies).
>
> 2. Note events are identified by their frequency.
>
> 3. The only thing that can actually refer back to a note on event
>    is it's corresponding 'note off' message. It's not possible to
>    send a controller value that refers to a previous note-on event.

I'm quite sure many of us would like to see this limitations go away,
including Dave. Being able to work with MIDI hardware is reason
enough to have MIDI sequencing. That doesn't rule out to have
something else, additionaly.

How about you work out a proposal? Or better yet a draft
implementation, as we all have seen how far one gets with talking ...
I guess you have the technical and musical expertise and maybe
the motivation thanks to your specific interests. Once you have
completed something, perhaps someone steps up to crticise it.

--
Thorsten Wilms