[LAD] [OT] LinuxSampler and GPL - some clarifications

Marek mlf.conv at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 13:10:53 UTC 2008

On Jan 27, 2008 10:52 AM, Thorsten Wilms <t_w_ at freenet.de> wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-01-27 at 01:02 +0100, Mlf Conv wrote:
>
> > This means that:
> > 1. usage of a computer program licensed under the terms of GPL in a
> > hardware product, whether modified or not, is not a distribution of a
> > computer program licensed under the terms of GPL, and is thus
> > prohibited by GPL.
>
> I don't follow on this one. I was under the impression that it's
> perfectly ok to include GPL software in hardware, but that the sources
> must be provided.

If you buy a computer with Linux preinstalled then yes.

> > 2. usage of a computer program licensed under the terms of GPL,
> > whether modified or not, in a software product, the intention of which
> > is not to distribute a computer program licensed under the terms of
> > GPL, is not a distribution of a computer program licensed under the
> > terms of GPL, and is thus prohibited by GPL.
>
> Huh?

Let's put it this way, if a make a proprietary sound converter that uses
libsndfile and i charge for the converter $30
is that distribution of libsndfile under the terms of GPL? See sections  2b)
and 3a) of GPLv2.

> > So to summarize that with respect to LinuxSampler, the exception
> > "LinuxSampler is licensed under the GNU GPL with the exception that
> > USAGE of the source code, libraries and applications FOR COMMERCIAL
> > HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE PRODUCTS IS NOT ALLOWED" is in fact no exception
> > at all, and is already covered by GPL.
>
> We have been told that the LS team talked to the FSF people. If things
> would be so easy, I'm sure it would have been resolved already.

I was under the impression that they haven't talked to their lawyers
directly from what i heard.

Marek