[LAD] [OT] LinuxSampler and GPL - some clarifications

Marek mlf.conv at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 04:50:01 UTC 2008

On Jan 28, 2008 5:19 AM, Forest Bond <forest at alittletooquiet.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Let me try at a little summary.  I'd like, for posterity's sake, to concisely
> characterize your views on the subject.  Here goes:
>
> You think that the GPL is a terrible license from the developer's perspective.

The GPL is a very powerful license, which  is all i wanted to show, it
even includes the so called LinuxSampler exception,
it's very restrictive to the advantage of oss developers yet it grants
all freedoms according to FSF.

> Developers should instead assign license on a per-user basis, charging more
> money from users that are deemed less likely to contribute back to the project.

Ever heard of dual licensing?

> You speak of re-interpreting the GPL, but what you really want is for
> open-source developers to use different license terms entirely.  You don't think
> the GPL adequately protects developers' interests.

A legal intepretation is something else than rewriting the license terms.

> You also apparently think that most current interpretations of the GPL are
> largely incorrect, and everyone distributing GPL software as part of a
> commercial product is already violating the terms of the license.
>
> Is that correct?

No i think you should read my emails again. I think i said more than enough.

Marek