[LAD] [OT] LinuxSampler and GPL - some clarifications

Dennis Schulmeister linux-audio-dev at windows3.de
Mon Jan 28 10:37:51 UTC 2008

> The GPL doesn't *address* compensation for distribution at all.

I understand your point of a missing compensation mechanism very well.
And surely open-source developers would be thankful if they could get
something back in return. Be it code or even money so they can make a
living. But although compensation is in no way enforced or even assured
it's already happening. On a voluntary basis.

The problem I see is the very moment you add a compensation mechanism to
the terms of the GPL (or any similar license terms) you make them less
free. And this is the exact opposite of the motivation of a FOSS
developer. Less freedom.

There's a social background to the GPL out of the scope of legal terms
and definitions. And that is what drives many people even if they don't
get any reward at all.

Yours sincerely,
Dennis Schulmeister

--
Dennis Schulmeister - Schifferstr. 1 - 76189 Karlsruhe - Germany
Tel: +49 721/5978883 - Mob: +49 152/01994400 - eMail: dennis at windows3.de

Now moved to the corridor: Hermes! (http://ncc-1701a.homelinux.net)
(mostly German)

http://www.windows3.de - http://www.denchris.de