[LAD] [OT] LinuxSampler and GPL - some clarifications

Dennis Schulmeister linux-audio-dev at windows3.de
Mon Jan 28 22:12:28 UTC 2008

> Let me explain this a bit further Christian. In law there's a term
> called willenserklaerung or declaration of will.
> This means, if you make sure that the above "exception" is your
> intepretation of the GPLv2
> and it is the intent with which you attached the GPL to your own work,
> then your explanation counts, not the one from FSF.

Since you're using the term "Willenserklärung" I deduct that you're a
Germany based lawyer. Especially since you're clearly referring to §133
BGB of German law.

In 2004 German judiciary was one of the first to confirm the terms of
the GPL 2. Many of your misunderstandings are covered in the opinion of
the court.

http://www.jbb.de/html/?page=news&id=32 (There's an English translation,
too).

Note how a fine distinction is drawn between distributing the software
which might occur in any way at any cost (as long as the license is kept
in tact) and offering the source code of the distributed program. Costs
for the later are limited by the actual costs of the act of transferring
the source code.

Yours sincerely,
Dennis Schulmeister

--
Dennis Schulmeister - Schifferstr. 1 - 76189 Karlsruhe - Germany
Tel: +49 721/5978883 - Mob: +49 152/01994400 - eMail: dennis at windows3.de

Now moved to the corridor: Hermes! (http://ncc-1701a.homelinux.net)
(mostly German)

http://www.windows3.de - http://www.denchris.de