[LAD] [OT] LinuxSampler and GPL - some clarifications

Marek mlf.conv at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 14:35:29 UTC 2008

On Jan 27, 2008 1:11 PM, Christian Schoenebeck
<cuse at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 27. Januar 2008 09:52:35 schrieb Thorsten Wilms:
> > > So to summarize that with respect to LinuxSampler, the exception
> > > "LinuxSampler is licensed under the GNU GPL with the exception that
> > > USAGE of the source code, libraries and applications FOR COMMERCIAL
> > > HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE PRODUCTS IS NOT ALLOWED" is in fact no exception
> > > at all, and is already covered by GPL.
> >
> > We have been told that the LS team talked to the FSF people. If things
> > would be so easy, I'm sure it would have been resolved already.
>
> Exactly. We don't have any sadomasochistic tendencies, so we're not keeping
> this restriction and all the flamewars for fun. I would appreciate if your
> claim would be true Marek, but it seems the FSF does not share your
> interpretation of the GPL. And if the author of the license doesn't ... you
> know ... who would?

Let me explain this a bit further Christian. In law there's a term
called willenserklaerung or declaration of will.
This means, if you make sure that the above "exception" is your
intepretation of the GPLv2
and it is the intent with which you attached the GPL to your own work,
then your explanation counts, not the one from FSF.

Marek