[LAD] [OT] LinuxSampler and GPL - some clarifications

Marek mlf.conv at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 16:55:19 UTC 2008

On Jan 29, 2008 7:01 AM, Dave Robillard <dave at drobilla.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-01-28 at 15:16 +0100, Marek wrote:

> > > I understand your point of a missing compensation mechanism very well.
> > > And surely open-source developers would be thankful if they could get
> > > something back in return. Be it code or even money so they can make a
> > > living. But although compensation is in no way enforced or even assured
> > > it's already happening. On a voluntary basis.
> > >
> > > The problem I see is the very moment you add a compensation mechanism to
> > > the terms of the GPL (or any similar license terms) y
> >
> > No. GPL doesn't include any compensation mechanism at all. It
> > implicitly prohibits from using the program licensed under the terms
> > of GPLfor any commercial purpose other than charging for distribution.
>
> This is utterly false, and completely contrary to the entire purpose of
> Free Software, and the GPL.

Ok. How does the interpretation i have given rob you of the freedom to
run the code, study it, modify, distribute or make ascii art paintings
out of it or whatever like that?

> Don't speak as if you were an expert on a subject when you clearly have
> no idea whatsoever what you are talking about.

Again, give me the facts.
Do you need a team of 10 PhD lawyers with 35+ experience of
succesfully defending the GPL in court, all over the world?
And you know what Dave, from what i learned from your reactions, it
still wouldn't do any justice.

Marek