[LAD] [OT] LinuxSampler and GPL - some clarifications

Gordon JC Pearce gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Wed Jan 30 17:05:43 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 30 January 2008 16:55:19 Marek wrote:
> On Jan 29, 2008 7:01 AM, Dave Robillard <dave at drobilla.net> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-01-28 at 15:16 +0100, Marek wrote:

> > > No. GPL doesn't include any compensation mechanism at all. It
> > > implicitly prohibits from using the program licensed under the terms
> > > of GPLfor any commercial purpose other than charging for distribution.
> >
> > This is utterly false, and completely contrary to the entire purpose of
> > Free Software, and the GPL.
>
> Ok. How does the interpretation i have given rob you of the freedom to
> run the code, study it, modify, distribute or make ascii art paintings
> out of it or whatever like that?

Your interpretation robs me of the ability to use GPLed code within a
commercial product.  This is explicitly contrary to the terms of the GPL.

If you look at the FSF's website, they even have a handy FAQ that explains all
this.  Perhaps you should take the time to read this.

> > Don't speak as if you were an expert on a subject when you clearly have
> > no idea whatsoever what you are talking about.
>
> Again, give me the facts.
> Do you need a team of 10 PhD lawyers with 35+ experience of
> succesfully defending the GPL in court, all over the world?
> And you know what Dave, from what i learned from your reactions, it
> still wouldn't do any justice.

We should probably stop feeding the troll.  Must be lonely under that
bridge...

Gordon