[LAD] Writing a library?

Julien Claassen julien at c-lab.de
Wed Jul 23 15:04:45 UTC 2008

Hi Darren!
   I'd still suggest on going linuxsampler. There's a basic framework already.
I'm not the skillful programmer myself, otherwise I'd like to help. But
reasons for my point:
1. LS has already MIDI and audio drivers working.
2. LS offers a clear structure and an API to go by.
3. LS is in use already.
4. It already has two GUIs and is probably getting more.
5. MY OWN HERE: It's useable for blind people as well with relative ease.
6. I think the people there are a helpful and nice crowd.
   So six nice reasons to go that way. Perhaps you can also rely on code
already written, like take a look and produce similar code in parts and there
are people who know the framework and the matter. and it won't be another
standalone app to maintain and adapt to every novation in the audio-world,
like audio/MIDI driver APIs changing etc...
   One of the delicate remarks: If you don't get along well with LinuxSampler's
license, you could make your "engine" a seperate package and say it's LGPL. Is
tht correct? Some backup. No licensing discussion just a true or false
statement. PLEASE! :-)
   Kindest regards
          Julien

--------