[LAD] alsa sequencer and sysex editing

rdxesy at yahoo.de rdxesy at yahoo.de
Mon Jun 2 16:13:26 UTC 2008

hello ")

Ok, I am writing a remote and SysEx-editor for e-mu
synthesizers (http://ppcontrol.sf.net). I am asking for
help on how to use the alsa sequencer the way it was
intended to be used for this kind of application. You know,
there are so many options and flags and stuff to be used
and I feel a little lost.

Basically I send a lot of SysEx messages and need to make
sure to catch all the answers. My current implementation is
as following:

I have a single sequencer (duplex, nonblocking), a queue
and two ports: one with read and one with write caps. To
send a SysEx command I just queue an event with that
message. (So far so good?).
Now I just wait for an constant time (usleep) before I
check the input queue. Problem: if the time is too short, i
would have missed the answer, if I wait to long I waste
time.

My question is: how would I make sure to catch all answers
from the device without using a thread and without just
waiting for an constant time before I check if there is an
answer( which is alo not very fail save, a message might
take a little longer if there is traffic on the midibus)?

Thank you.

Jan