[LAD] Let's kill EPAMP???

Sampo Savolainen v2 at iki.fi
Thu Jun 5 19:42:55 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 22:35 +0300, Sampo Savolainen wrote:
> All of these effects have a strict 1:1 ratio between samples going in
> and going out. The only effect which differs in this would be changing
> the 'length' of the signal, but that is a different story altogether.

Sorry, I'm tired: the resampling does not follow the 1:1 rule at all.
This is because when you mess with how fast your record is playing, you
are in a sense messing with "time" on the disc.

To put this in another way: you are taking X seconds of sound and
playing it back in Y seconds where X != Y.

This means that you can't do an effect like "real" scratching in
realtime without the plugin asserting some sort of
transport/playhead/speed control on the underlying media player.

.. Now, the rubberband pitch shifter IS 1:1. Unlike all the DJ stuff I
mentioned..

 * note to self: this is why you shouldn't write emails when you're
about to go to bed

 Good night,
  Sampo