[LAD] starting out with tux audio

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Jun 17 07:58:36 UTC 2008

Hallo,
AlgoMantra hat gesagt: // AlgoMantra wrote:

> > Well, it can be fun to poke around with a little bit of C code,
> > but in the case of GS this probably won't get you very far unless
> > you really get serious and write your own realtime synthesis
> > engine. Which isn't easy.
>
> But I *would* rather write my own realtime synthesis engine. If
> anyone who has done so could tell me the basic requirements....I'm
> not looking for an easy solution. I just want to look at the
> architecture of synthesis systems from the inside. For instance,
> ChucK. Instead of learning how to "use" ChucK, I'm more interested
> in writing my own language, as it were. The advantages are many.

Thanks to the joys of open source you can look into many other
synthesis engines. I think, a good starting point may be the SndObj
C++ library. It may not be the beautifullest code (I didn't look at it
for some time, but it was indented in a confusing way last time I
checked), but it's nicely designed, well documented and you can quickly
start making sounds while not getting too far away from the core
synthesis code. SndObj comes with classes for soundcard access and
midi as well. I think, it's very nice for learning these things and
then move on. For granular synthesis look into the SyncGrain class.

Pure Data also could be an interesting: Coding externals ("plugins")
for Pd is very easy, check out the externals HOWTO:
http://pdstatic.iem.at/externals-HOWTO/ as a start. You can
concentrate on the synthesis algorithm instead of dealing with boring
things like soundcard access with ALSA, Jack or /dev/dsp, and
additionally you can quickly prototype graphical user interfaces or
use MIDI controllers with Pd.

Ciao