[LAD] starting out with tux audio

Jens M Andreasen jens.andreasen at comhem.se
Tue Jun 17 14:50:33 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 17:04 +0530, AlgoMantra wrote:
> We were able to play a few nice loops today in class
> using pure sine synthesis in C, and I of course suggested they
> start working on a keyboard-input thingie like a toy Casio.
> Of course, they are 18-20 years old, just out of high school.
> So you cannot imagine how timely this is...

Do you have any midi-keyboard around? Because stdio won't tell you that
a key has been released, only that it has been hit. This limits the "toy
Casio experience" somewhat ... There is of course a workaround - given
that you have root permission, you could read the keyboard
from /dev/input/ instead. This is unfortunately a bit like having a
"keyboard sniffer" installed, which may not be ideal in your
environment. Next step up the ladder I think is fullblown X ...

A virtual midi-keyboard would solve that, perhaps vkeybd?

/j