[LAD] starting out with tux audio

Justin Smith noisesmith at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 16:46:40 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 5:56 AM, AlgoMantra <algomantra at gmail.com> wrote:

>> On the subject of input devices, I had a recent project that may be
>> just up your alley. First, I changed my xorg.conf to only read from
>> one specific mouse device, then I used the input event interface that
>> the kernel creates for each extra mouse, and wrote a c program that
>> mapped five mice.....(contd)
>
> Neat....it looks like something I'd like to try very soon.
>

>> Programs that use /dev/dsp
>> and read from the tty can't play together so easily, and are in the
>> long run difficult to compose and perform with (I no longer consider
>> any of them worth my time). Selfishly, I lament the time others spend
>> working on such projects that do so much less to benefit me than they
>> could. You of course don't owe me anything, so this is a request
>> rather than a demand.
>> ________________________________
>
> Err....you have the benefit of a certain experience that I don't, since
> I am not much of a hacker, but I am trying my best. I am sure I will
> be sharing things once they are worth anybody's while.
>
> (Oh, and my laptop went toast this afternoon, so I will be slightly
> delayed in processing your request!)
>
> ------- -.-
> 1/f ))) --.
> ------- ...
> http://www.algomantra.com

Attached is the event-osc program, consider it GPLV3 or greater
copyright me, though I have not put that info in the files yet.

It is a very small program, so you may find reading it informative.

The command line interface for starting the server is a bit weird,
hopefully the examples will help (I did a lousy job defining the
syntax and writing the man page). It comes with an example: if I
recall correctly, it reads from a few mice, and then sends thier
events to parameters in a simple pd synth.

I hope somebody finds this useful, at least as a starting point for
another app, if not in itself.

If I recall correctly, the kernel automatically creates event devices
for joysticks as well as mice and keyboards, and adding support for
joysticks to my code should be a question of only a few lines
changing, and a few lines added. Check out /usr/include/linux/input.h
for some clues as to how you would do that (around line 393 in my
version, search for the word "BTN_JOYSTICK").

Looking over where I left off in my code (and why I have not released
the program yet), I see that I was wanting to make a simple chuck
example to ship with the program (chuck being a very small program,
and chuck files are small and easy to modify and play with in real
time). Anybody want to send me a small chuck shred that would interact
nicely with this program I wrote?