[LAD] ALSA doumentation

Fred Gleason fredg at paravelsystems.com
Sun Nov 16 02:34:25 UTC 2008

On Saturday 15 November 2008 09:13:33 pm Jack O'Quin wrote:
> Most applications should use some simpler
> interface like JACK or PulseAudio.

Or OSS or PortAudio or [insert-favorite-framework-here].  They all have their
places.

> The low-level driver interface
> should expose the full capabilities of the audio hardware for more
> complex control purposes.

Yes, which is why I think ALSA is most appropriately characterized as a 'HAL'
(Hardware Abstraction Layer).  Now if we could just get the bits and pieces
documented properly...  :)

Cheers!

|    Documentation is like castor oil:  managers know it must be good     |
|    because programmers hate writing it so much.                         |
|                                        -- Anonymous                     |