[LAD] Audio vs ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe mobo

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Nov 29 13:55:17 UTC 2008

On Saturday 29 November 2008, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>Hi :)
>
>my reply might fail the topic, but maybe there is something in common.
>
>I have an ASUS M2A-VM HDMI. I disabled on-board audio and HDMI and
>removed the HDMI PCIe card.
>If I try to use MIDI applications like Rosegarden, Qtractor and soft
>synth like Qsynth (using an USB MIDI IO device and a Envy24 based sound
>card) I only get crashes.
>I tried to generate a core file, but this didn't work until now, so I
>have no information about what is going wrong at the moment.
>
>Okay, in my case it's not audio that's not working, but MIDI, anyway,
>both has to do with ALSA.
>
>I'm sorry if this is something complete different.
>
>Cheers,
>Ralf

I think it is Ralf, here, when the Audigy2 is running, it has a midi port,
just feed it the file and it plays, if your startup (rc.local) feeds it the
cd's soundfont file using asfxload IIRC.  Here, I've since found pavumeter,
and somehow set up a simultainious feed in PA, and if I play a cnn news
video, or a utube video, this pavumeter shows the audio is making it that
far, but from there I guess it goes to /dev/null.

Maybe that is YAC? (yet Another Clue)

I haven't tried to play a midi file, hang on a sec, darn, no .midi files
survived the drive crash so I can't test that ATM.

Someone suggested I run, as root, update-pciids, which did then allow the
video card to be identified, but not its ATI audio on the same card:

03:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RV610 audio device [Radeon HD 2400
PRO]
        Subsystem: Diamond Multimedia Systems Unknown device aa10

Thanks Ralf.  I added the LAD list to the CC line as I see this is a private
msg.  Normally a reply goes only to the list, so you'll get two copies I
suspect.  I guess the list server isn't setting the Reply-to: line?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)