[LAD] Audio vs ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe mobo

Thomas Kuther gimpel at sonnenkinder.org
Sat Nov 29 11:49:46 UTC 2008

On Sa, 29.11.08 00:46 Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:

> Greetings;
>
> Up2date reinstall of the latest FU8 respin.
>
> The various audio devices found by an lspci -vv on this mobo are:
> ======
> 00:06.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP55 High Definition Audio
> (rev a2) Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Unknown device 81f6
>         Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
> ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
>         Capabilities: [50] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask+ 64bit+
> Queue=0/0 Enable-
>                 Address: 0000000000000000  Data: 0000
>                 Masking: 00000000  Pending: 00000000
>         Capabilities: [6c] HyperTransport: MSI Mapping Enable+ Fixed+
>         Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
>         Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
> ======
> 01:07.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB0400 Audigy2
> Value Subsystem: Creative Labs Unknown device 1001
>         Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
> ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
>         Capabilities: [58] Express (v1) Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
>                 DevCap: MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency
> L0s <4us, L1 unlimited
>                         ExtTag+ AttnBtn- AttnInd- PwrInd- RBE+
> FLReset- DevCtl: Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal-
> Unsupported-
>                         RlxdOrd+ ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop+
>                         MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 128 bytes
>                 DevSta: CorrErr- UncorrErr- FatalErr- UnsuppReq-
> AuxPwr- TransPend-
>                 LnkCap: Port #0, Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x16, ASPM L0s
> L1, Latency L0 <64ns, L1 <1us
>                         ClockPM- Suprise- LLActRep- BwNot-
>                 LnkCtl: ASPM Disabled; RCB 64 bytes Disabled-
> Retrain- CommClk+
>                         ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
>                 LnkSta: Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x16, TrErr- Train-
> SlotClk+ DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
>         Capabilities: [a0] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+
> Queue=0/0 Enable-
>                 Address: 0000000000000000  Data: 0000
>         Capabilities: [100] Vendor Specific Information <?>
>         Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
>         Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
> =======
>
> And there is also a pcHDTV-3000 which has a connexant audio but its
> obviously a mic level output, and since tvtime doesn't work on the
> video card associated with the last device listed above, the point is
> moot till it does work.
>
> The first device above I have not been able to get a peep out of, so
> I've made the second one, the Audigy2, the default.  And I have NDI
> where to plug anything that looks like audio into that ATI based
> HD-2400-Pro video card, but lspci says its there.
>
> Testing the sound for the audigy2 in system-config-soundcard works,
> but places like utube are silent.  As is cnn et all since the last
> reboot.
>
> 2 questions:
>
> do we have a 'vu meter' that can be switched to monitor the various
> audio inputs?

> [...]

To test audio w/o pulseaudio, you can take some wave file and run

pasuspender aplay foo.wav

or just kill it: pulseaudio -k

The ATI device in your lspci output could be the HDMI audio out.
Try to run "update-pciids" as root, maybe lspci shows a correct
description then (instead of unknown device)

HTH,
Thomas