[LAD] Audio vs ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe mobo

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Nov 29 13:11:58 UTC 2008

On Saturday 29 November 2008, Thomas Kuther wrote:
> [...]
>>         Region 0: Memory at fddfc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
>> [size=16K] Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
>>                 Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1+ D2+ AuxCurrent=0mA
>> PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
>>         Capabilities: [58] Express (v1) Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
>>                 DevCap: MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency
>> L0s <4us, L1 unlimited
>>                         ExtTag+ AttnBtn- AttnInd- PwrInd- RBE+
>> FLReset- DevCtl: Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal-
>> Unsupported-
>>                         RlxdOrd+ ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop+
>>                         MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 128 bytes
>>                 DevSta: CorrErr- UncorrErr- FatalErr- UnsuppReq-
>> AuxPwr- TransPend-
>>                 LnkCap: Port #0, Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x16, ASPM L0s
>> L1, Latency L0 <64ns, L1 <1us
>>                         ClockPM- Suprise- LLActRep- BwNot-
>>                 LnkCtl: ASPM Disabled; RCB 64 bytes Disabled-
>> Retrain- CommClk+
>>                         ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
>>                 LnkSta: Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x16, TrErr- Train-
>> SlotClk+ DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
>>         Capabilities: [a0] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+
>> Queue=0/0 Enable-
>>                 Address: 0000000000000000  Data: 0000
>>         Capabilities: [100] Vendor Specific Information <?>
>>         Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
>>         Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
>> =======
>>
>> And there is also a pcHDTV-3000 which has a connexant audio but its
>> obviously a mic level output, and since tvtime doesn't work on the
>> video card associated with the last device listed above, the point is
>> moot till it does work.
>>
>> The first device above I have not been able to get a peep out of, so
>> I've made the second one, the Audigy2, the default.  And I have NDI
>> where to plug anything that looks like audio into that ATI based
>> HD-2400-Pro video card, but lspci says its there.
>>
>> Testing the sound for the audigy2 in system-config-soundcard works,
>> but places like utube are silent.  As is cnn et all since the last
>> reboot.
>>
>> 2 questions:
>>
>> do we have a 'vu meter' that can be switched to monitor the various
>> audio inputs?
>>
>> And when I had to reinstall, I see that pulseaudio was installed, and
>> a now frozen 'lsof|grep audio' returns this, but has not returned a
>> prompt. [root at coyote cards]# lsof |grep audio
>> pulseaudi  3473      root  txt       REG        8,3    57972
>> 53801556 /usr/bin/pulseaudio
>> artsd      3528      root  mem       REG        8,3    96380
>> 53795593 /usr/lib/libaudio.so.2.4
>> artsd      3528      root  mem       REG        8,3   171580
>> 5603705 /usr/lib/libaudiofile.so.0.0.2
>>
>> Is this yet another case where I need to remove as much PA as I can
>> in order to get working sound again, or is there a configurator for
>> this PITA that might be able to fix this?  The silence here is
>> deafening.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
>To test audio w/o pulseaudio, you can take some wave file and run

This gets me dead silence, both from the speakers plugged into the Audigy2,
and from a phone type headset plugged into the 'lime' jack called front
speakers on the motherboard.

No errors reported:
[root at coyote cards]# pasuspender aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little
Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Mono

>or just kill it: pulseaudio -k

Which gets me this error now:
[root at coyote cards]# pulseaudio -k
[root at coyote cards]# aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
*** PULSEAUDIO: Unable to connect: Connection refused
aplay: main:564: audio open error: Connection refused

I restarted PA, it bitched about being run as root, and re-ran your sample
with and without the pasuspender prefix, no errors reported and pavumeter
watching the simultainious output was as silent as the rest of the room.

>The ATI device in your lspci output could be the HDMI audio out.
>Try to run "update-pciids" as root, maybe lspci shows a correct
>description then (instead of unknown device)

Only partially, now it says:
=====
03:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RV610 audio device [Radeon HD 2400
PRO]
        Subsystem: Diamond Multimedia Systems Unknown device aa10
[...]
=======
But this card does not, to my knowledge have any audio output facilities
unless it is part of the digital connection to the monitor, a Samsung BW-205,
and there are no audio jacks in evidence on it either.

>HTH,
>Thomas

I hope this info is helping, I'm not grokking it so far.

Thanks Thomas

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)