[LAD] Audio vs ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe mobo

Thomas Kuther gimpel at sonnenkinder.org
Sat Nov 29 14:26:09 UTC 2008

On Sa, 29.11.08 08:11 Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:

> >To test audio w/o pulseaudio, you can take some wave file and run
> >
> >pasuspender aplay foo.wav
>
> This gets me dead silence, both from the speakers plugged into the
> Audigy2, and from a phone type headset plugged into the 'lime' jack
> called front speakers on the motherboard.
>
> No errors reported:
> [root at coyote cards]# pasuspender
> aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav Playing WAVE
> '/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little
> Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Mono
> >or just kill it: pulseaudio -k
>
> Which gets me this error now:
> [root at coyote cards]# pulseaudio -k
> [root at coyote cards]# aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
> *** PULSEAUDIO: Unable to connect: Connection refused
> aplay: main:564: audio open error: Connection refused

Ah, that looks as if the default device is set to use the "pulse"
plugin then. If your distribution did that system-whide,
your /etc/asound.conf might contain something like

pcm.!default {
    type pulse
}
ctl.!default {
    type pulse
}

(or maybe they put a .asoundrc in /etc/skel, then you should have it in
~/.asoundrc)

So try commenting it out, paulseaudio -k, and aplay again.
"cat /proc/asound/cards" shows the current order of your devices, so

aplay -Dhw:0 == card 0
aplay -Dhw:1 == card 1

etc..

> I restarted PA, it bitched about being run as root, and re-ran your
> sample with and without the pasuspender prefix, no errors reported
> and pavumeter watching the simultainious output was as silent as the
> rest of the room.
>
> >The ATI device in your lspci output could be the HDMI audio out.
> >Try to run "update-pciids" as root, maybe lspci shows a correct
> >description then (instead of unknown device)
>
> Only partially, now it says:
> =====
> 03:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RV610 audio device [Radeon
> HD 2400 PRO]
>         Subsystem: Diamond Multimedia Systems Unknown device aa10
> [...]
> =======
> But this card does not, to my knowledge have any audio output
> facilities unless it is part of the digital connection to the
> monitor, a Samsung BW-205, and there are no audio jacks in evidence
> on it either.

Those HDMI jacks contain both, audio and video signal output.
http://www.cobaltcable.com/images/hdmi_jack.jpg

Regards,
Thomas