[LAD] Audio vs ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe mobo

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Nov 29 14:52:22 UTC 2008

On Saturday 29 November 2008, Thomas Kuther wrote:
>On Sa, 29.11.08 08:11 Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
>> >To test audio w/o pulseaudio, you can take some wave file and run
>> >
>> >pasuspender aplay foo.wav
>>
>> This gets me dead silence, both from the speakers plugged into the
>> Audigy2, and from a phone type headset plugged into the 'lime' jack
>> called front speakers on the motherboard.
>>
>> No errors reported:
>> [root at coyote cards]# pasuspender
>> aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav Playing WAVE
>> '/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little
>> Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Mono
>>
>> >or just kill it: pulseaudio -k
>>
>> Which gets me this error now:
>> [root at coyote cards]# pulseaudio -k
>> [root at coyote cards]# aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
>> *** PULSEAUDIO: Unable to connect: Connection refused
>> aplay: main:564: audio open error: Connection refused
>
>Ah, that looks as if the default device is set to use the "pulse"
>plugin then. If your distribution did that system-whide,
>your /etc/asound.conf might contain something like
>
>pcm.!default {
>    type pulse
>}
>ctl.!default {
>    type pulse
>}
A cat of /etc/asound.conf:
=======
#Generated by system-config-soundcard
#If you edit this file, don't run system-config-soundcard,
#all your changes here could be lost.
#SWCONF
#DEV 2
defaults.pcm.card 0
defaults.pcm.device 2
defaults.ctl.card 0
=======

>(or maybe they put a .asoundrc in /etc/skel, then you should have it in
>~/.asoundrc)

That file does not exist on this system.

>So try commenting it out, paulseaudio -k, and aplay again.
>"cat /proc/asound/cards" shows the current order of your devices,
============
 0 [Audigy2        ]: Audigy2 - Audigy 2 Value [SB0400]
                      Audigy 2 Value [SB0400] (rev.0, serial:0x10011102) at
0xac00, irq 17
 1 [NVidia         ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
                      HDA NVidia at 0xfe024000 irq 21
 2 [HDMI           ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
                      HDA ATI HDMI at 0xfddfc000 irq 16
=============

>so
>
>aplay -Dhw:0 == card 0
>aplay -Dhw:1 == card 1
>
>etc..
>
>> I restarted PA, it bitched about being run as root, and re-ran your
>> sample with and without the pasuspender prefix, no errors reported
>> and pavumeter watching the simultainious output was as silent as the
>> rest of the room.
>>
>> >The ATI device in your lspci output could be the HDMI audio out.
>> >Try to run "update-pciids" as root, maybe lspci shows a correct
>> >description then (instead of unknown device)
>>
>> Only partially, now it says:
>> =====
>> 03:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RV610 audio device [Radeon
>> HD 2400 PRO]
>>         Subsystem: Diamond Multimedia Systems Unknown device aa10
>> [...]
>> =======
>> But this card does not, to my knowledge have any audio output
>> facilities unless it is part of the digital connection to the
>> monitor, a Samsung BW-205, and there are no audio jacks in evidence
>> on it either.
>
>Those HDMI jacks contain both, audio and video signal output.
>http://www.cobaltcable.com/images/hdmi_jack.jpg

No such socket on this video card. analog/svga(db15), svhs and digital only.

I just rebooted as something was preventing me from restarting the ktorrent
gui(and still is), and there was a message box on screen after x had started
telling me the default device refused permissions and that the sound server
would continue using /dev/null, so now we know where the audio is going, but
not why.  What do I inspect and chmod to get that going, as root?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)