[LAD] Guide to Linux Sound APIs

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Oct 1 17:42:02 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 01 October 2008, victor wrote:
>Gosh, I hope I have enough gusto to be re-building computers when
>I get there (if I do), never mind programming in C (will it still exist?).
>Impressive.
>
>Victor

Well, I did it yesterday, read it and get jealous:

[root at coyote ~]# dmesg|grep Bogo
[    0.000999] Calibrating delay loop (skipped), value calculated using timer
frequency.. 4420.30 BogoMIPS (lpj=2210151)
[    0.000999] Calibrating delay using timer specific routine.. 4420.64
BogoMIPS (lpj=2210323)
[    0.000999] Calibrating delay using timer specific routine.. 4420.44
BogoMIPS (lpj=2210221)
[    0.000999] Calibrating delay using timer specific routine.. 4420.44
BogoMIPS (lpj=2210220)
[    0.247012] Total of 4 processors activated (17681.83 BogoMIPS).

Unforch, I have not found a way to drive this video card with anything but
plain old radeon.  R600 chipset support is very thin & non-accelerated, and
experimental according to Xorg.0.log.  glxgears is about 300 fps.

tvtime won't run, but now sketchup does, which was the point of this $500+
expenditure. :)

>> Were I 20 years younger, which would put me in my mid-50's when I was
>> carving
>> machine code for 8 bit machines, I most certainly would.  But at 74, I
>> find
>> I'm doing a lot of stuff in bash only.  I'm not fully groking the new c99
>> syntax, its a far cry from either of my K&R Ansi C manuals.

Also, since real live gets in the way, this summers project has been:
<http://gene.homelinux.net:85/gene/Garage-pix>
With the exception of the folks in the pix who helped raise the trusses, and a
couple of hours nailing shingles, the rest of that came from my head and
hands since about may 26th.

I still have some soffit to install on the back and gable end.  But its doing
an intermittent drizzle here today, so not much is being done, instead I just
rebuilt my modprobe.conf (something mucked it up) and now I have sound again.
I have had that file diddled by supposedly un-connected software so many times
I am about to set the -i flag on that file, just to see who bitches about it.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Humm, my fortune database is ???  Better yet, where the hell did the
surplus 's' come from?
Here is that script:

[root at coyote bin]# cat makesig
echo '-- ' >~/signature