[LAD] Something like Processing for audio

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sun Sep 28 19:43:00 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-09-28 at 15:30 -0400, Darren Landrum wrote:

> I want my musical skills to be all I need to be able to make music on Linux.

I want my musical skills to be all I need to be able to make music on
Cello. It doesn't seem to be working out too well, so far :)

To be honest, this is not an avenue that interests me individually. I
view these tools as a lot like table saws, routers and jointers: things
with immense power that make a lot of tasks way faster and simpler than
they would otherwise be, but that do not remove the obligation to
develop a set of tool-specific skills. I've never had much interest in
designing table saws for people who don't want to know how to use table
saws, and I personally don't have a lot of interest in designing
software tools for people who don't want to learn how to use them.

I do see the attraction, however. And also the marketability. I also
promise to discuss this issue in my seminar at the Technical University
here in Berlin, "Designing Tools for Musicians".

--p