[LAD] Something like Processing for audio

Darren Landrum darren.landrum at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 28 20:05:28 UTC 2008

Paul Davis wrote:
> To be honest, this is not an avenue that interests me individually. I
> view these tools as a lot like table saws, routers and jointers: things
> with immense power that make a lot of tasks way faster and simpler than
> they would otherwise be, but that do not remove the obligation to
> develop a set of tool-specific skills. I've never had much interest in
> designing table saws for people who don't want to know how to use table
> saws, and I personally don't have a lot of interest in designing
> software tools for people who don't want to learn how to use them.

Who said anything about not wanting to learn how to use table saws?

This seems a bad analogy to me. NI's plug-ins don't make me a better
musician. I still have to learn how to use them, but I don't have to
know how to code them myself first. That part's already done. I'm more
than willing to learn how to use a table saw, but I really don't feel
like building my own table saw first. Right now, audio on Linux really
does kinda force the latter, in my opinion.

I'm genuinely enjoying myself debating this, though. :-)

-- Darren Landrum