[LAD] Something like Processing for audio

Darren Landrum darren.landrum at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 28 21:19:53 UTC 2008

Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> Why do you expect making music on computers to be easy ?
> Normally, to make music, you need not only the skills you
> refer to above, but also those to play an instrument.
> For traditional instruments that takes years of hard work.
> What makes you think it should somehow be easy or automatic
> when using a computer ?

What the heck?! When I said "musical skills," that is *EXACTLY* what I
meant! By musical skills, I mean the skills of being able to play an
instrument or two, knowing music theory, harmony, singing, and whatever
else that really has little to do with computers.

The point is, back when I messed with this stuff on Windows, it was
amazingly easy for me to bring up a DAW, load a softsynth into it, and
start laying things down on the keys. So far, my experience with Linux
audio has been a lot less satisfying.

On the flip side of the coin, I hate vendor lock-in and forced OS
upgrades even more than I hate having to be patient and learn how to
code. That's why I'm here instead of there.

I *was* enjoying this, right up to now...

-- Darren