[LAD] students and copyright

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Sun Aug 2 16:22:56 UTC 2009

On 08/02/2009 08:14 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Arnold Krille wrote:
>
>> If you didn't sign a contract and work on a project, the
>> copyright is still yours
>>

> Are you sure? I guess (and I'm not sure) that if you did some kind of
> work, e.g. being a developer for a company, it implies that the employer
> will take on the copyright and that you aren't allowed to disclose
> know-how, even if there isn't a special contract saying this. If I'm
> wrong, this  would give me some thrilling views for my future, because
> of my past and especially a friend could benefit from this, because he
> did much more for other people than I did.

Just because you work for a company or contribute code to a company
doesn't give them exclusive license to your code.

You have to *explicitly* sign or give that right away.

IIUC, if you don't sign a contract or otherwise agree in writing or
verbally that your code is not owned by you or your company then it's
yours or your companies to do with as you or your company will.

Caveat is that your use of the code can not infringe on any other rights
for any other owners of any code that you have used as part of your code
or linked to in a way that makes it a part of your codebase in a legal
definition of any licenses that are attributed to code that you have
used or linked with.

phew.....

This is why gpl is so much simpler and loved.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd