[LAD] students and copyright

keller keller at cs.hmc.edu
Mon Aug 3 15:08:46 UTC 2009

On Aug 2, 2009, at 10:28 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> "Welcome to Impro-Visor (Improvisation Advisor) Version 4, from Bob
> Keller at Harvey Mudd College.
>
> [snip]
>
> Bob Keller, Impro-Visor Project Director" (README.txt)
>
> I don't like it, but it's not important if I or anybody else does or
> doesn't like it. The students are mature and if they are fine with it,
> it's their choice. And the good thing, there's no confusing list of
> students participating ;).

Ralf,

What's there not to like, that a project can have a director?

Have you actually run the app? If you do so, click the Help>About
menu.  There you will find all contributors are listed, as they were
from the day when I first released it. I also promote them and
attribute their roles on the project home page. They are also co-
authors on various papers that are linked.

You might find this hard to believe, but without my efforts, this tool
would not exist. It was purely my conception and it was I who took the
first version from a non-working prototype at the end of the first
summer to something that I'd be willing to post in any form. It took
an additional 4 months of full-time work to get it to the first
release. And that sort of thing has continued, as summer student
workers leave incomplete additions to the software. It has been a big
drain on time, and without someone to move it forward, it would not be
available in its current form. The students leave and usually cease
their contributions after the money runs out.

I am not asking you or anyone else here for kind words, and I realize
that you could not know about all the work that has gone into this,
but perhaps asking me directly before making assumptions and casting
aspersions on the project would be a courteous way to proceed.

Bob

Robert M. Keller, Csilla & Walt Foley Professor of Computer Science
Harvey Mudd College
Claremont, California 91711