[LAD] Kim did the switch to Linux

hermann brummer- at web.de
Thu Aug 6 05:52:38 UTC 2009

Am Donnerstag, den 06.08.2009, 00:54 +0200 schrieb Malte Steiner:
> > Linux audio is a total mess... a normal human being can't work with pro
> > audio on Linux, unless he/she spent hours and hours to learn the little
> > tricks or he has an expert available who helps him...
> >
> > I spent 5 hours last week to help somebody to get his (pro) audio
> > working on Linux... He says to his girlfriend, you better spend a 1000
> > euro's for such a white macbook, then things just work...
> >
> > I don't know if I can really recommend Linux for pro audio to normal
> > human beings... at least I should say, you need a lot of time, not easy
> > give up on things and a lot of patience...
> >
> > I don't know if there is a connection between LAD and the distro
> > builders, but it seems there is need for change somewhere...
> >
> People are moaning about Linux Audio for a while but should look at the
> other systems, pro audio simply doesnt work on any (operating) system
> without some involvement. Hard- and software are now very complex
> systems and with all these small problems, its still not there.
> Computers may work if you do some basic web browsing and writing a
> letter but anything beyond is asking for trouble. If its gaming or video
> editing or proaudio, the forums are full with horrorstorys for any
> operating system. The expectations of the people, driven by shameless
> glossy marketing, are not met and wont for the next couple of years.
> The best solution is buying a turn-key system, prepared for the heavy
> duty of shifting audio bits in a defined time. But it shifts the 5 hours
> or more of labour and swearing to the seller and at least he or she
> knows which hardware is in it, but work is still involved anyway.
>
> 64Studio had it right for a while with a rather smooth out-of the box
> experience regarding low latency audio but I dont know where they are now.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Malte

Hi

Yes, I don't understand why people mean linux audio is a mess, last
day's I have setup a new box with debian/sid and it took me a half day
to get a full featured rt audio/midi environment on the run. It's like
always in life, if you wont to use a tool, you must know how it work's.
There is no diff in this case to windos or mac. Only, when you have
already learn how one tool works, may you don't wont to learn how a
other tool work to receive the same results. So the price for the switch
to linux is a small piece of your brain witch you must open for basic
linux knowledge. :-)

hermann