[LAD] Kim did the switch to Linux

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Aug 6 09:51:11 UTC 2009

Malte Steiner wrote:
> People are moaning about Linux Audio for a while but should look at the
> other systems, pro audio simply doesnt work on any (operating) system
> without some involvement. Hard- and software are now very complex
> systems and with all these small problems, its still not there.
> Computers may work if you do some basic web browsing and writing a
> letter but anything beyond is asking for trouble. If its gaming or video
> editing or proaudio, the forums are full with horrorstorys for any
> operating system. The expectations of the people, driven by shameless
> glossy marketing, are not met and wont for the next couple of years.
> The best solution is buying a turn-key system, prepared for the heavy
> duty of shifting audio bits in a defined time. But it shifts the 5 hours
> or more of labour and swearing to the seller and at least he or she
> knows which hardware is in it, but work is still involved anyway.

I don't agree. Most people go the illegal way by using a crack of Cubase
on Windows, in addition they install asio4all and that it is, everything
most times is fine and they have much more possibilities than all Linux
applications has got.
Linux shouldn't become like Windows ;), don't get me wrong. But for
Linux there are many unsolved issues, e.g. the hardware vendor troubles.

> 64Studio had it right for a while with a rather smooth out-of the box
> experience regarding low latency audio but I dont know where they are now.

Linux is the OS I recommend all people I know and 64 Studio is the
distro I recommend. 3.0-beta3 is fine out of the box for most needs,
it's the best 64 Studio they ever made, e.g. because they use JACK2 by
default, so no chip set will make JACK disconnect clients any more.

Ralf